Friday 19 September 2008

Falafel Recipe

reWell, here is my falafel recipe. Or the one I adapted anyway...

Ingredients
500g dried chickpeas
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
(I added a bit of self raising flour as I didn't have bicarb)
1 large onion
5 spring onions (I just used 2 red onions)
6 cloves garlic
1 large handful flat-leaf parsley
1 large bunch coriander (I used mint instead cos I didn't have any)
salt and pepper to season
vegetable oil to fry


Method:
Soak the chickpeas for a full 24 hours in warm water.
The following day drain and dry the chickpeas then whizz the lot
in the blender until you have a paste. Tar off balls of the mixture and
form falafels from this that should be about 5cm in diameter and
1 cm deep. My mixture was quite wet, so that is why I added the
flour. Just enough to help it be workable. Allow the falafels
you've just made to rest for 15 minutes then heat vegetable oil
(I used extra virgin olive oil and shallow fried them) in a frying pan
and fry the falafels in hot oil until they become
crisp and brown on both sides.
Then the best part....eat them!

3 comments:

  1. Sounds yummy! Don't remember how I found your blog (was hopping from one blog to another, like a frog), but I'm enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love to read other people's recipes (I use to chef about in a previous lifetime in Perth).
    It's such a shame that I don't get taste the original made by my internet friends!

    Whenever I see the word falfel I think about that novel/movie - "He died with a falafel in his hand".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy!!! Definitely I'm going to try the recipe this weekend :)

    ReplyDelete

Hi there, I really appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts with me. Thanks for dropping by. I enjoy reading all your comments.