Friday 4 November 2011

making a throw...

I promised you I would show you how to make a throw from a cheap store bought fleece throw and some toile fabric the same size. The reason for using cheap store bought fleece was I figured that it was not as expensive as fleece fabric per metre - it would probably cost twice as much. The fleece cost me less than £3. The toile I had was a remnant so was not expensive either.  I have made this one a birthday gift for a friend. She doesn't read this blog - I hope!
Before you do anything to your fabric, you can embellish the fleece side- this is optional. I did an applique in felt and embroidered my friend's name. I chose a pheasant because I was looking at one in the forest at the back of my house while I was trying to decide what to do.
Once that's done,  pin the right sides together of your fleece and fabric. My fleece throw had hems- some don't, if they have hems, just keep your line of sewing in a bit so that you can lose the hem when you trim.
I used my newly serviced machine - why did I wait so long, it's running like a dream now! Sew right the way round leaving a gap of about 8 inches so you can turn the fabric. Trim the excess fabric off once you have sewn round it.
Turn the right way around...
...and press carefully.
Now sew twice round leaving about a 2 inch space between each border. I use a bit of masking tape stuck on the sewing plate of my machine to line up the fabric to. I used brown for my top thread and white for my bottom thread.
Don't forget to oversew the gap. 
And that is pretty much it. And if she is in the mood for fleecy and cosy she can use this side.
And if she is in the mood for a spot of toile, she can use the other.
I hope she likes it, and I hope I have inspired you.

7 comments:

  1. hi doda! your fleece throw is absolutely wonderful.....your friend annie will be jumping up and down and giving you big hugs when you give this to her! and i must say that i would LOVE to curl up in that chair and spend a few hours with that book, too!! have a great weekend! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is fabulous, you have made a beautiful throw from not a lot. Your friend will love it. Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a really beautiful throw Doda, and I always love a hand made gift no matter if it cost pennies. Lee x

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have COMPLETELY inspired me. I love it. The toile is just gorgeous, and the Annie side is perfect!

    Sarahx

    ReplyDelete
  5. A lovely idea, great colours and fantastic tutorial. I have really missed visiting your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is just gorgeous! It is lovely to get a gift with so much thought and love put into it. Beautiful.. Ruth x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE this! I would love if you would share this at the Crazy Cute link party happening at Between U & Me right now! I've got a totally awesome giveaway this week, too!
    OOH! AND, I'm your newest follower! ;)
    www.betweenuandme.com

    ReplyDelete

Hi there, I really appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts with me. Thanks for dropping by. I enjoy reading all your comments.