Tuesday 17 January 2012

Score

Hi there.  Hope you are having a good day!
I won a box of books for a snip at my local auction last week. Among them was this dictionary from 1867. I bought the books for collage and upcycling, but I can't bring myself to chop into this one. Look at the marbling on the edge...
...gorgeous isn't it?
In the pile was a very tatty Hawes' Bible volume 1 from some time in the 1700s.

So old..amazing. But as I say...rather tatty, so I won't feel too bad chopping it up.
But it is a privilege to handle something of that age and wonder about all the people that have read this before me...in a way it is good that it is so scruffy, because it means it has been well read and appreciated. I just love old books. Do you?

2 comments:

  1. Oh yum Doda, that was a find and a half, I can see why you can't cut it up I wouldn't be able to either. I adore old books. Haooy belated new year to you x

    ReplyDelete
  2. We adore old books too! What great finds, love that marbling edge!

    ReplyDelete

Hi there, I really appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts with me. Thanks for dropping by. I enjoy reading all your comments.