Thursday 27 January 2011

Thrifty Thursday



I promised I would tell you about my encyclopedias.
I have three Arthur Mee Children's Encyclopedias from the 1920s that I have had since I was a child. Whoever had them before me had cut bits out of them, but I loved them just the same.They are full of fascinating snippets of information, and things to make and do. They hark back to a more innocent age of childhood. I always used to wish I had more of them. Then one day at the auction I saw a complete set and managed to secure them for just £1!!! I was smiling from ear to ear that day I can tell you! They now reside in this lovely glass fronted cupboard which also cost me only £1. 


Because I now have a full set, and the fact the previous ones I owned were already chopped, it gave me a license to chop some more, and so I have been using these, plus another set of outdated encyclopedias for some collage and decoupage work.

I am also going to scan some of the images to use as clipart in my cardmaking. I also own a couple of 1895 Oracle encyclopedias with some lovely images, so I will share some of them with you from time to time. 


I almost had another bargain today while out at a Charity shop with my dear friend Cheryl. I saw the most perfect coffee table. It was large rectangular dark wood with a glass top and a drawer. It would have looked fabulous painted off white. I took a moment to think about whether or not I wanted to spend £15 on it, but by the time I had walked around the shop and decided to go for it, someone else had bought it! Well, I guess it wasn't meant to be mine. Sigh!

Very soon, I'll be showing you how you can make a pretty little bunch of vintage paper flowers just like these ones. 

3 comments:

  1. My husband would die for those encyclopedias... and for £1 too! Goodness! Thank you for stopping by my blog and for your kind words. Please do keep visiting.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Doda!

    I love vintage books such as these! Such wonderful treasures!

    Thanks so much for visiting my blog and entering my OWOH give away. Please visit me again anytime!

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a true pleasure to meet you here Doda! Like your style!

    xox
    Constance

    ReplyDelete

Hi there, I really appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts with me. Thanks for dropping by. I enjoy reading all your comments.