Tuesday 24 February 2015

Vintage Hobbies catalogue - an MDF mini shelf


I love collecting vintage ephemera to use for craft projects, This little unit is one of Tonic Studios range of mini furniture. This particular unit is called the Tivoli unit which you can also make up with 4 rows plus 24 mini drawers. This time I opted to leave out a couple of shelves and make it up as a little shelf unit to store some of my craft supplies. It's the perfect size!


The paper |I used to decorate this unit is taken from a 1936 Hobbies catalogue that belonged to my great grandfather. It wasn't in mint condition so I didn't feel too bad cutting it up for this, and now I can enjoy looking at it on my craft desk. Hobbies  are still very much on the go and have been trading since 1895. They sell all sorts of interesting bits and bobs . My dad says he can remember when his father taught him how to create fretwork using patterns from Hobbies, and it was that which initially got him into woodwork. He then went on to train as a carpenter and he still loves to make things today in his 80s.


There are so many ways to decorate these little units...I hope this has inspired you.

have a lovely day

1 comment:

  1. wow your vintage shelf is amazing ... well done ... I am sure you had a super time making it ... hope all is well ... happy crafting and love sandy xx

    ReplyDelete

Hi there, I really appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts with me. Thanks for dropping by. I enjoy reading all your comments.