I wanted to make it more hard wearing than just a paper cover, so I used a technique to transfer a toner print onto fabric. This was my first attempt and so I could possibly have achieved a clearer output if I had worked at it more, but in fact I really like the aged worn look and think it works well for this project.
I used a good quality sketch paper that will accept most mediums and sewed it together using a hidden long-stitch binding.
Because the paper was thick I made 6 signatures of four sheets each.
The picture in the corner of the above picture was my aunt as a child. She passed away yesterday at age 83. She had dementia and it was sad that she went downhill so quickly.I liked the way the paper I used for the transfer had an almost vellum quality about it once it was used, so I used it for an inner paper.
I was really pleased with how this little book turned out and so thanks to Naomi for the inspiration, I shall be doing some more with the vintage photos. Watch this space.
On another note, I should be able to get with some sewing projects now as I have just picked up my sewing machine from the repair shop!!!