Tuesday 24 January 2012

It's all in the presentation

If you've followed my blog for a while, you may know that I absolutely love making boxes. When I go to the trouble of making  handmade gift, I like to go the extra mile and make a handmade box to present it in. I had great fun decorating these boxes with a simple ribbon and flower embellishment. 

To stick on the ribbon , I used some double sided sticky tape.  I stick this to the box once I have cut and scored the template, but before sticking the box together. If you would like to make a similar sized box you could use my Playing Card Box template. I love to use Tonic Studios Super Trimmer to cut and score my box templates. It makes the job so quick and easy. I cut out all the outer edges with the trimmer and then cut the fiddly bits with my favourite scissors. The scoring is so easy to do with the Super trimmer, and it makes such a neat job. I used to do it with a ruler and a scoring tool, (and if that's all you have it will still work fine), but I would recommend the Super Trimmer to you. It goes so much quicker. I use it so much I'll be needing replacement blades very soon!
For the flower I punched out 5  flower shapes out of thin card, and then curled the edges of the petals inwards.  I then layered the flowers with a small dot of glue in the centre of each one. I pressed each flower in place until the glue dried using the eraser end of a pencil. I then finished off the flower with a jewel in the centre and glued it in place on the box. The finished flower is pretty sturdy. Because it is made of card and the layers are offset, it holds up well and can't be squashed easily. And doesn't it look pretty !

P.S. If you would like the opportunity to win a paper punch. Don't forget to enter Tonic Studios Giveaway which runs until February the 14th.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful boxes Doda. And my goodness, those books are absolutely fabulous!

    ReplyDelete

Hi there, I really appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts with me. Thanks for dropping by. I enjoy reading all your comments.