Wednesday 25 May 2011

Cute and quick cupcake decorating



Would you like to decorate some cupcakes for a party, yet have no cake decorating skills? Then read on...
Now I wish I had the decorating skills of my talented nieces who make incredible edible things like this out of sugar!


...but lets face it  I don't. (Oh, BTW if you are getting married in the UK and need an amazing cake topper let me know and I'll put you in touch with them). 


So anyway, for this simple and effective little decoration, perfect for afternoon tea parties or little girls birthday parties...all you need is some wafer paper or rice paper and a decorative paper punch. I used my Tonic Studios butterfly punch. If you are going to dedicate a new punch to this task, then do use it a few times first on some regular clean white paper to get rid of any residual fluid that is used for lubrication of the punch mechanism  -  you don't want be eating any of that! 


Punch out your pretty designs in the wafer paper. I gently folded my butterflies and then stuck the fold into my wet icing. 
For the body of the butterfly - which just added a bit of fun (although it looks just as effective without), I cut some strawberry laces into little pieces and then snipped along them to split them into antennae.


If you want to make your creations even fancier you could use some decorative cupcake cases. Now have a fun tea party! 


(The cake was out of focus here, but isn't the columbine lovely!!!)

5 comments:

  1. Doda, "no way" I thought when I saw the flowers from sugar... incredible indeed, they look so real, what a talent! I will show your post to Margaretka, she is into cupcaces, will love this butterfly ide. thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen a lot of butterfly cupcakes but only few of them are edible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always loved theoughs birds on your advatar. I'm sure I saw you sell the actual picture on Ebay a few years ago. One that as stuck in my head.
    Thank you for your beautiful message, was lovely to come over here to see you.
    I will try and take a good photo when she's finished. If the painting is to expensive, you can print a copy out on your comp. Thank you for liking her!
    Blessings!
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I somehow missed this post!
    HOW adorable, Doda! I wonder if we have that paper over here. I will have to start looking!
    The butterflies are just darling and look super easy to do!
    HUGS,
    ~me

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I love the edible butterflies, I don't have a butterfly punch, but may invest in one now!!!Thanks for sharing!
    Do you think you could use some food colouring to paint these, or would they shrivel?

    ReplyDelete

Hi there, I really appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts with me. Thanks for dropping by. I enjoy reading all your comments.