Tuesday 21 March 2017

Paper Butterfly Brooches


Glancing at these brooches you wouldn't have guessed they have been  made from paper would you? Well, thin card to be precise. Here's a little view of the backs so you can see that they are indeed brooches. I have die cut some felt to cover over the brooch pins and make them look neat and nicely finished. Not that I am OCD or anything. ;-)

Each brooch has been made from gluing together 8 die cuts. (using Tonic Studios Rococo butterfly die from their die and stamp set). You'd be amazed at how sturdy a brooch this makes.

Do you like the effect on this one. Very pearly isn't it. It's been made using Nuvo pearl drops.
My 10 year old daughter had the absolutely brilliant idea to make "butterfly prints" with a selection of the Nuvo drops. The effect was so lovely that I knew it would be perfect for paper jewellery.


This one was made using the glitter drops and also the black crystal drops. Once this was dried I applied a glaze of jewel drops to the whole area. Having tested this out on larger areas before I knew that as it is  not designed for large areas it tends to crack and so it produces a wonderful interesting patina for jewellery.


I am considering adding another level to these brooches with some polymer clay words, but I have a few things in progress on my desk just now so that will have to wait until I make space for some clay time.
Here are some of our butterfly prints made with the drops. You can see which ones I chose to use for these brooches. And the scrap around the die cut areas did not go to waste either as I made use of a butterfly punch.

Just wait until you see what I made with a few of these. 
Are you going to give this a try?

Have a lovely day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi there, I really appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts with me. Thanks for dropping by. I enjoy reading all your comments.